China’s National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) announced regulatory improvements to the generic injections’ quality and efficacy consistency evaluation in May 2020.
China improves generics injection consistency evaluation
Home/Policies & Legislation | Posted 09/04/2021 0 Post your comment
The NMPA announcement was made as a result of opinions released by the Chinese ‘State Council on the reform of the review and approval system for drugs and medicinal devices’, and the ‘State Council on performing consistency evaluation of the quality and efficacy of generic drugs’, regarding generic drug quality and efficacy consistency evaluation. This action is a direct result of China’s pharmaceutical reforms that began in 2015 . Through these reforms, in 2017, China became a full member of the International Council for Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Pharmaceuticals for Human Use (ICH), an organization that standardizes global drug regulations .
To improve and speed up the consistency evaluation of generic chemical injections, the NMPA announced the following:
- All marketed generic chemical injections must be evaluated for consistency with the brand-name drug in terms of safety and efficacy. Marketing authorization holders (MAHs) should select reference formulations in accordance with the NMPA’s Catalogue for Reference Formulations of Generic Drugs apply for an R & D consistency evaluation.
- While conducting generic injection consistency evaluations, MAHs must follow relevant technical guidances. When applying for injection consistency evaluation, they must complete their application dossier in accordance with the Requirements for Application Dossiers for Consistency Evaluation of the Quality and Efficacy of Generic Chemical Injections. This is then to be submitted as supplementary information to the Center for Drug Evaluation (CDE).
- Following application, and in accordance with relevant regulations and technical guidances, CDE will review and initiate any testing or inspection required of the generic. Following this a comprehensive review opinion will be formed and if passed, the CDE will issue an approval for generic supplementary application.
The announcement noted that any other relevant issues not covered directly in it, will be implemented in accordance with the relevant provisions of the Announcement on Matters Concerning the Consistency Evaluation of the Quality and Efficacy of Generic Drugs.
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM – Coming soon!
To further enhance the objectives of GaBI in sharing information and knowledge that ensure policies supportive of safe biosimilars use, we are pleased to announce that we will be launching a new section on GaBI Online and GaBI Journal, the ‘Latin American Forum’ (in Spanish) featuring the latest news and updates on research and developments in generic and biosimilar medicines in Latin America.
LATIN AMERICAN FORUM – Próximamente!
Para fomentar los objetivos de GaBI sobre la difusión de información y conocimiento sobre las políticas de apoyo que garantizan el uso seguro de medicamentos biosimilares, nos complace anunciar el lanzamiento de una nueva sección en GaBI Online y GaBI Journal, el ‘Latin American Forum’ (en español), que presentará las últimas noticias y actualizaciones en investigación y desarrollo sobre medicamentos genéricos y biosimilares en Latinoamérica.
1. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. China prioritizes drug innovation while increasing access to drugs approved abroad [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2021 Apr 9]. Available from: Available from: www.gabionline.net/Generics/General/China-prioritizes-drug-innovation-while-increasing-access-to-drugs-approved-abroad
2. GaBI Online - Generics and Biosimilars Initiative. China adopts ICH guidelines and collaborates with UK [www.gabionline.net]. Mol, Belgium: Pro Pharma Communications International; [cited 2021 Apr 9]. Available from: www.gabionline.net/Guidelines/China-adopts-ICH-guidelines-and-collaborates-with-UK
Permission granted to reproduce for personal and non-commercial use only. All other reproduction, copy or reprinting of all or part of any ‘Content’ found on this website is strictly prohibited without the prior consent of the publisher. Contact the publisher to obtain permission before redistributing.
Copyright – Unless otherwise stated all contents of this website are © 2021 Pro Pharma Communications International. All Rights Reserved.